Saturday, August 6, 2011

Musings on Lima

  Before embarking  to Lima,  I was filled  with horror stories about how dangerous it is and how I was certain to meet with an untimely demise there.  My experience was the polar opposite.    A good tip for going anywhere - try and hook up with the locals.

  My first night in Lima I stayed in a hostel.  I arrived late ready to hit the sack, and frose my butt off.  Places in Peru do not have inside heat, even though they are often cold at night.  I slept in my thermals and shivered the night away.  In the morning I checked out a museum, ate some ridiculously awesome peruvian food (Peruvian Pesto, made with spinach and basil, words can´t describe).  But it really got interesting when I met up with Roberto, a friend of a friend where I would spend my second night.

   Hooking up with locals in crucial.  I think if this hadn´t happened I would have sat around reading young adult fiction alone in my jamies like a big loser.  Instead I went out to a cool rave like street party in Lima.  "The Kindness of strangers" - the people I met were some of the warmest and friendliest I have ever encountered..  When out in Lima, everyone shares everything, drinks and cigarettes are passed around between friends and aquaintances.  Friends of friends give you a hug and and kiss hello.  And people dance, and drink mucho Pisco.  The Dj´s play mixes of music from all over the world, reggae, rock rap, salsa latin, I even heard some MJ and the Cure thrown in there. And the realization hits, people everywhere are just people.

  I awoke with an uncertain tummy, but the promise from Roberto that we would try some legit Peruvian Ceviche before I caught my departing  flight.   It was pretty tasty.  I will say that raw fish on a hungover, new country stomach is probably an iffy decision, but I went for it, even indulging in "Leche de Tigre", the fluids that the raw fish in the Ceviche is soaked in.    This is meant to be a hangover cure.  I was uncertain that I would keep it down at first, but it all worked out.
 
  A few hours later I am sitting here in Cusco, suffering from some Seroche - altitude sickness.  Hard feeling to describe.  Its like haven taken a huge bong hit, but at the same time having a bad headache and feeling short of breathe.  Cocoa leave tea is on the menu for me.

  Anyway, missing home, enjoying the experience, staying safe and trying not to believe the hype.  Hope everyone is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment